Saturday, September 11, 2010

Samsung LE37B550A5 Review

Samsung LE37B550A5 Review, Samsung LE37B550A5 Spec

Samsung LE37B550A5 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Crystal LCD TV with Freeview

Samsung LE37B550A5W 37 inch LCD Television 1920 x 1080 HDMI VGA SCART (Black)

Features

  • 1920 x 1080 Resolution
  • HDMI connectivity
  • Built-in speakers
  • -
Great Value & Easy to Set Up4
As this was my first large HD LCD TV I spent more than three months researching the right choice for my budget (under £600) and am delighted with my purchase. The Samsung is exactly what it purports to be and Amazon's service was prompt and efficient.

Set-Up: The Samsung LE37B550A5 is truly a Plug & Play television, simply follow the onscreen set up instructions and it works straightaway. You will want to adjust some of the contrast and colour settings to suit your own preferences, but otherwise it's fast and easy.

Picture: You need to understand that older CRT televisions are better at handling analogue/digital television pictures that are recorded using simpler and less expensive quality cameras & film; as a result some programmes are of lesser quality than others (good example is the in-car footage used on the BBC's Top Gear). This result is a slightly jagged picture if you are too close to the television. The simple answer is to choose the screen size that fits the environment - there's plenty of advice on the web about the best distance for viewing various size LCD TVs so don't be lulled into thinking a bigger screen is better. The full HD programmes and films are simply amazing, as is playing HD games on my Xbox 360. I already own a smaller size Samsung LCD TV in another room and have always been disappointed by the lack of depth in the darker colours, especially black, but this model has no such problems and dark colours are perfectly clear even without HD. Many reviews refer to the picture lag and again, this model seems to have overcome many of it's predecessors' and peers' issues offering a great viewing experience.

Sound: This was the biggest surprise as I was expecting fairly low quality without an external speaker system, but am delighted to say that both the volume and depth of sound is very impressive. When you first set up the TV it does not have SRS True Sound activated, but I highly suggest you switch this on if not using an external source. Again, I am equally impressed when watching a DVD or playing my xbox.

Build Quality: No problems here, the unit is solid without being heavy and my only problem seems to be keeping it dust free!

Compatibility: I've had no problems connecting any of my DVD, BlueRay, Games console or other external device (admittedly I've not used a PC with it yet!). The Anynet solution is a great feature that will become more useful as I connect additional devices in coming months/years, especially as technology progresses.

Remote Control: Very snazzy and fairly large, but that makes it easy to use. The control and in-screen menus are intuitive and easy to navigate. In all honesty, since I've programmed the TV and set up my satellite remote control to work with the TV I hardly touch it except for any tweaks to detailed adjustments I want to make.

Pros: simple set-up, surprisingly good sound quality, HD is excellent, outperforms some of its peers for colour depth (i.e. black), easily compatible with Sky Remote, plenty of expansion and backward compatibility (4 x HDMI and 2 x SCART), likely to be `futureproof' for a number of years, easy to use and looks great.

Cons: lower quality programmes have a slightly poorer image than my old CRT television and the touch sensitive controls on the front of the TV are not easy to see making them effectively useless in all but bright daylight or with a torch in hand! In fairness, you should only need these if you can't find the remote.

Conclusion: I am extremely pleased with my choice having been quite nervous about ordering in light of the plethora of HDTV choices on the market. There are definitely more expensive TVs now on the market with LED technology and other picture quality improvement claims by the manufacturers, but I have yet to see difference between the Samsung LE37B550A5 and my friends' TVs that are more than double the price. I'm sure someone with a more trained eye or specific purpose for an LCD TV might be able to tell the difference, but I am a `normal' user and highly recommend this Television.

Samsung LE37B550A5 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Crystal LCD TV with Freeview

Samsung LE37B550A5 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Crystal LCD TV with Freeview
From Samsung

Price: £534.66

Availability: Usually dispatched within 1-2 business days
Dispatched from and sold by Popcorn UK

8 new or used available from £333.10

Average customer review:


Read review more

No comments:

Post a Comment